I’m super late to hop on the meal delivery service bandwagon, and I’m not really sure why. While I absolutely love making home cooked meals for my family, it’s a lot of work doing that seven nights a week. There are so many nights that we have so much going on and I’m either too tired to cook or I just don’t want to, and I know y’all get that. Some times it’s just so overwhelming! Enter Freshly. When I was contacted by Freshly to review their meal delivery service, I was so excited! The thing that sets Freshly apart from other meal delivery services is that the meals are precooked and never frozen. If you’ve been contemplating trying a meal delivery service, keep reading to see if Freshly might be for you!
We received two Buffalo Chicken Breast meals, and I plated them up for my husband. I’m not a huge fan of spice or heat in my food, but he is, and he really enjoyed this! The loaded cauliflower was absolutely amazing, it has fresh grated cheese and chunks of real bacon on top, and the flavors were outstanding. Also, my husband didn’t even realize he wasn’t eating real mashed potatoes. Now I know I can sneak healthy foods in, even when he says he doesn’t like things. (He tells me all the time that he doesn’t like cauliflower). Hah!
The chicken breast is coated in seasoned ground almonds instead of your typical bread crumbs, and the broccoli was cheesy and full of really bold garlic flavor (my favorite). This was the perfect dinner paired with a salad on the side, and because it was low carb and high protein, I wasn’t uncomfortably full after eating it.
Grayson loved this meal, but specifically the snap peas and the tiny onions, he devoured those first. I can’t for the life of me find this meal on the Freshly Menu for this week, so I’m not 100% sure if this is cauliflower mash or like a chickpea mash? Either way, it was delicious. I have been craving both of the mashes that came with these meals since we got them. I’ve yet to try making anything that’s not mashed potatoes at home on my own, but I plan to now!
- You microwave it. Seriously, if that isn’t the biggest pro I don’t know what is.
- The quality and flavor of the meals were outstanding. It doesn’t taste like you microwaved it, which was a big plus for me. The meals smelled and tasted homecooked.
- Fairly healthy options. They have several options that allow you to make healthier choices: Low Carb, Under 500 Calories, Gluten Free, Soy Free, etc.
- The portion size was rather small, not so much for Grayson (it was actually too much for him) but for myself and my husband. If I hadn’t put a side salad with it, I don’t think it would have been enough food to fill us up.
- You may get tired of the available options. Though I think new stuff is added weekly, the menu stays relatively the same. So, if you like variety, you may find yourself growing tired of the limited options.
- The food goes bad. Since the food is fresh and never frozen, it does spoil within 5 days. In my experience, this wasn’t a con for me personally because the meals were gone after the first night.
Overall, I was super impressed with my Freshly experience. I will definitely be using them again for the times when I cannot do one more thing around the house. There are so many meals on the menu that I would love to try. (The Thanksgiving Turkey with Quinoa Stuffing looks bomb). They also deliver breakfast–which is probably my favorite meal of the day, so I’ll be trying some of their breakfast options.
The best part was that I didn’t have to cook, and I got to enjoy dinner with my family without all of the hassle. When you’re a full-time stay at home wife and mom, it’s nice to get a break some times. If you’d like to try Freshly for yourself, and see if a meal delivery service is for you, use the code NOCOOK639, which gives first-time users $20 off of the 6 meal plan!